Thursday, June 26, 2008

By the Sea By the Glorious Sea!



Isn't the water beautiful! The different blues in it. The blue and white slamming against the black rugged rock. This is the Hilo side of the Big Island the Kona side has the "sand" beaches. Don't think Waikiki type of beach. It has small pockets of sand beaches with their fair share of huge lava rocks. One place we dove we hiked into the dive site with all our gear on. To give you an idea how dang heavy the gear is: Your tank weighs about 15 pounds and I had 14 pounds in weight to neutralize my buoyancy. That sounds like a lot I know but keep in mind that one floats in salt water. Carrying 29 pounds on your back while climbing over HUGE boulders is hard work! I did not have athletic shoes on either. I have my dive boots on. Which are basically neoprene slippers with a rubber sole. Not hiking shoes. When we went to the dive shop we rented the dive equipment from we asked about other sites in the area. The guy told us about one but said it was tricky to get to it. I said more tricky that Hanalua Bay? He said No, Wow YOU hiked in there with that huge tank! Wow! Then his friend said I told you that we should not give them the bigger tanks, they did not need them. I was thankful we did not have the bigger tanks too! I don't know if we would have made it in there!

6 comments:

Bag Blog said...

You're tuff! You're a farm girl. You can do anything!

Course of Perfection said...

Yeah...it's all that corn your Dad feeds ya.

Buck said...

29 pounds is indeed a lot to hump over rocks and such. But think about the troops in Afghanistan... humping 50 pounds (or more) of gear over rocks and such in 110 degree summer weather and freezing temps in the winter... all while getting shot at and returning fire. Day in and day out...

Sorry if this comment is a downer, but it's what I thought about almost immediately. On the positive side: Great pics, as always!

Becky G said...

Those pictures are gorgeous!

Inquiries said...

Lou: Yep I have my farm girl muscles to prove it!

Perfection: LOL

Buck: Your comment was not a downer at all! People often take for granted what the service men do.

Becky: Thank you.

Inquiries said...

Jenn: Thank you! Those guys are tough!

Oh and thanks for adding me!